Leather furniture looks stylish, presentable and serves as a worthy decoration for any interior. However, as a result of use, the material becomes dirty, stains, scuffs and yellowness appear.
which raises a reasonable question: how to clean a leather sofa at home? You can restore the cleanliness and beauty of the upholstery yourself, using folk or special means, sponges and water.
The article contains useful tips to help you choose the right tool and method for cleaning leather furniture.
Proper maintenance will help to maintain a presentable look of the leather upholstery of the sofa, which includes several stages:
- Vacuum the product to remove coarse debris and dust.
- Use the special bristle brush and fine tip to clean all corners and folds well. Wipe the upholstery with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Examine the sofa for dirt or stains, and do additional cleaning if necessary.
- Wipe the upholstery with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Buff the leather with a glycerin sponge or a special wax-based conditioner.
Affordable home remedies and specialized household chemicals will help get rid of serious pollution.
The procedure for cleaning leather furniture:
- Dissolve liquid or laundry soap in warm water.
- Moisten a sponge or rag in the solution, wipe the surface of the product.
- Avoid heavy rubbing when cleaning to avoid damaging the material.
- Walk over the furniture with a clean, dry cloth to remove any debris and cleaning agent.
Cow’s milk can quickly, effectively and safely remove dirt from your sofa. To clean up, follow the steps below:
- Heat 250 ml of milk.
- Pour the food into a convenient container.
- Dip a soft cloth in warm milk and wipe the product.
- Remove residual moisture and dirt with a dry cloth.
Special skin cleansers
Special household chemicals (for example Leather Ultra Clean) will help to restore cleanliness and freshness to the leather sofa. Cleaning procedure:
- Carefully read the instructions on the packaging and make sure that the chosen product is suitable for natural leather.
- Prepare the necessary accessories – a sponge, a basin of water, napkins.
- Take the recommended safety precautions – wear gloves and provide adequate ventilation.
- Treat the sofa surface with the agent of your choice according to the instructions.
- Wipe the leather with a clean cloth and dry the furniture well.
how to clean white leather?
Sofas, chairs and armchairs made of natural light leather look spectacular, rich and stylish, emphasize the good taste of the owner and make the interior presentable.
However, such products quickly get dirty, stains, scuffs and other dirt appear on them, which spoil the appearance.
It is better to clean a light leather sofa with natural home remedies, following the recommendations for use.
How to clean light-coloured leather upholstery:
- Peel the large onion and cut it in half.
- Cut all surfaces, paying particular attention to areas of serious dirt.
- Peel off the top soiled onion layer periodically.
- Wipe the upholstery with a soft, barely damp cloth.
Small dirt can be removed with toothpaste. To clean, apply with a sponge or soft brush and scrub the dirty area.
Remove the remaining toothpaste with a damp cloth, wipe the surface dry with a soft cloth. Do not use whitening products to clean your skin.
They contain corrosive substances and abrasive particles that can damage the delicate upholstery.
Alcohol and vinegar
Furniture cleaning algorithm:
- Combine ammonia, vinegar and a little warm water in a container.
- Soak a cloth in the solution and wipe off the contaminated material.
- Blot the upholstery with a dry cloth to remove moisture.
- Sponge the surface with glycerin to give the leather a shine.
How to remove stains of different nature from leather furniture
Stains on a leather couch are frustrating and worrying. However, you can save expensive upholstery at home, if you correctly determine the nature of the pollution and choose the right cleaning agent.
To remove the gum, apply an ice pack to the stain. After a couple of minutes, scrape off the dirt with the back of the knife.
Be careful not to damage the material. Blot the contaminated area with a dry cloth and leave to dry completely.
A soap solution will help wash the coffee off your skin. Soak a cloth in the prepared liquid and work on the stain, moving from the edges to the centre, so as not to increase its area. Use a mild vinegar solution as an alternative.
Wine or juice
Blot fresh juice or wine stains with a dry cloth and sprinkle with salt to prevent spreading. Soak a soft cloth in an alcohol solution and treat the dirty surface.
After cleaning, wipe the stain with a cotton pad dipped in glycerin.
Ballpoint pen marks
You can wipe off traces of a ballpoint pen from the leather surface in the following way:
- Apply tape to the stain and then peel it off, removing some of the dirt.
- Treat the stain with a washcloth and a mild liquid soap solution.
- Blot the trail with a dry cloth.
A stationery eraser will also help to deal with the stain. When cleaning, be careful not to damage the upholstery.
General care instructions
Keeping the original look of the leather sofa and extending its service life will allow compliance with simple rules:
- do not place furniture near heaters or radiators. High temperatures cause the skin to dry out, causing it to crack.
- avoid direct sunlight on the skin, as ultraviolet light leads to paint fading.
- maintain optimal humidity in the room.
- do not drink wine, juices or coffee on the sofa, use furniture exclusively for relaxation.
- if stains appear, start cleaning immediately, until the dirt is absorbed into the fibres of the material.
- do not wash your skin with aggressive substances (acetone, gasoline, etc.).
Compliance with the rules of operation and maintenance will help to keep the leather sofa clean and presentable. Carry out preventive cleaning of upholstery in order to be able to enjoy the luxury and beauty of expensive furniture for as long as possible.